StrongStart programs are free. They provide safe rich learning environments designed specifically for children from birth to pre-kindergarten. StrongStart programs focus on early learning development – language, physical, cognitive, social and emotional growth. Qualified Early Childhood Educators lead learning activities where children find opportunities to make friends and interact with others of similar ages. Early Childhood Educators are also able to answer parent/caregiver questions about early learning development..
The overall learning experience in a StrongStart Center is a shared experience, one where parents/caregivers attend with their child and are encouraged to get involved in activities like telling stories, playing games and serving healthy snacks. This free early learning drop-in program helps prepare children for success in Kindergarten.
Each StrongStart Center has its own monthly calendar, indicating center hours and notice of special activities. Calendars are available on this website and at each center. Healthy nut-free snacks are provided at no charge. Each center has scheduled gym time. Please bring along non-marking inside shoes to wear in the center and gym. We request that parents leave coffee or other hot drinks at home and turn off cell phones.
School District 60 has:
- 3 StrongStart Centers which operate Monday – Friday: Robert Ogilvie Elementary School. Duncan Cran Elementary School, & Hudson’s Hope Elementary Secondary School;
- 3 outreach programs which operate one day/week (with the exception of Prespatou, which is currently open two days/week): Taylor Elementary School, Prespatou Elementary-Secondary School, Buick Creek Elementary School
- 1 Virtual Community of Support for Early Learning: Northern BC Distance Education School.
Join us at any of our centers to learn new ways to support your child’s learning, get information about community programs and services, and make valuable connections with others attending the program.
Participants will be asked to complete a registration form and provide documentation of the child’s proof of age (Birth Certificate, BC ID, Passport, Perm. Res. Card, or Immigration Doc ). Once registered, parents and children can attend any StrongStart Center. To download and print StrongStart Registration Forms, please chose a centre:
Duncan Cran, Robert Ogilvie, Hudson’s Hope, Virtual Community of Support for Early Learning: SS Registration Full Time Centres 2019 2020
Taylor, Prespatou, Buick Creek: SS Registration Form Outreach Sept 2019 2020
Duncan Cran StrongStart: 8130 89 ave, Fort St. John, BC
Mon – Fri. mornings 8:30 – 11:30 am
- Griff Peet, Principal & Lana Scott-Moncrieff, Early Childhood Educator, at (250)787-0417.
Robert Ogilvie StrongStart: 9907 86 st, Fort, St. John, BC
Mon/Tues/Fri. mornings 8:30 – 11:30 am
Tues/Thurs afternoons 12:30 – 3:30pm
- Karen Gonzales, Principal & Pam Essensa, Early Childhood Educator, at (250)785-3704.
Hudson’s Hope Elementary School 10114 Holland St., Hudson’s Hope, BC
Mon -Fri mornings 9:00 am – 12 pm
Hudson’s Hope StrongStart Centre: 10441 Holland St. Hudson’s Hope, BC
- Derrek Beam, Principal & Natilie Pringle, Early Childhood Educator, at (250)783-9994
The outreach programs, located in rural areas, have gym time during their program.
Taylor Elementary School: 9808 Birch Avenue E, Taylor, BC
Monday mornings 9 am – 11:30 pm
- Craig Brownlee, Principal & Suzanne Currie, Early Childhood Educator, at (250)789-3323
Prespatou Elementary/Secondary School: 22113 Triad Rd Prespatou, BC
Tuesday & Wednesday mornings 9:00 am – 11:30 am
- Glenn Longley, Principal & Barb Frose, StrongStart facilitator, (250)630-2241
Buick Creek Elementary School: 154 Road Buick Creek, BC
- Glenn Longley, Principal & Joy Hanna, StrongStart facilitator, (250)630-2241
The Virtual Early Learning Program is a free program offered to families with children aged 0-5 years who are living in a rural/isolated community. Weekly group sessions will be held on-line with children and a Early Childhood Educator to focus on key areas of learning such as numeracy and literacy. As well, parents will have an opportunity to network with other parents on-line to support early learning.
For more information please contact: Deb Wormley, Early Childhood Educator firstname.lastname@example.org