Early Learning Ideas for Home
For the week of June 10- 17
Things we can do Everyday:
These are activities that you may already be doing or that you can build off of and make them yours. See where it takes you…
- Breakfast Reading… Let’s make bedtime stories but at breakfast. Reading to your child never gets old and often reading while they are at the table will not only keep them in their seats longer, we are encouraging language and literacy.
- Dance Party!!! At some point in your child’s day have an impromptu Dance Party. All you will need is your phone… a funky dance song and five minutes. Surprise them and just blare the tunes and start moving.. You will make lots of giggles and tons of memories!
Playful Literacy Ideas:
Decide which activity you’d like to do or do them all this week. Here are some great Summer time activity themed stories:
- Let’s make a Rhyming Basket… find things around your house that rhyme. Fill the basket then start all over again. Here’s a creative link from Pinterest: Rhyming Basket
- Let’s practice our Letters with Playdough! Make some Letter Placemats and have your child use the playdough to trace the letter. Here is a link from Pinterest with the downloadable sheets if you don’t want to make your own from scratch. Letter Playdough Mats
Playful Numeracy Ideas:
Decide which activity you’d like to do or do them all this week.
- Sorting coins! Either indoors on the kitchen floor using coins or outside in the driveway using small rocks. This sorting game could easily be converted to a tossing game (seeing where the small rock lands….) Follow this link from Pinterest to get you started: Coin Sorting
- Snack Math for Preschoolers…. The best idea yet!!! Have these placemats for snack time or lunch time and let the sorting and counting begin. Pinterest: Counting Snacks
Art and Craft Ideas
- Splat Painting…. Definitely an outside art! If you don’t have panty hose try using the random socks that the dryer didn’t eat! Here’s a small video on how to start from pinterest: Splatter Art
- Bubble Art is a great summer activity. Just add some food colouring to your store bought bubbles or try making your own bubbles from scratch. Here’s how to start: Bubble Art
Some Cool Science:
- Sink or Float Experiment. We do this alot in StrongStart at the sensory table but you could do this around the kiddy pool or in the tub while bathing. Have your child find things around the house that would “Sink” or things they think will “Float”… Talk about what happened and why they floated or sank and Why they didn’t.
Pinterest will show you how to get started: Sink or Float
A Moment for Parents
These are links and/or ideas for parents to support their early learners while at home.
- Lets try something different this summer… A summer schedule of fun for Parents and Families… Heres a cool chart that worth a look from Pinterest: Summer Schedule
- Date Nights at Home! Looking for some date night ideas to do at home once the kids are in bed. Here’s a link from Pinterest with a ton of simple ideas: A Year of Date Nites